Total Pageviews

Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Essay

                                                                                                                                     
Hogan 1

Satchel Hogan

Dr. Preston

American Literature

May 31, 2017


My Bildungsroman

  Throughout this school year, I've worked Hard to be treated as a colleague(a key focus of Open Source Learning) and not just a pupil. Whether it was going the extra mile on my blog or Participating in Socratic seminars, I honored the privilege to be in this class. In regards to my peers' evaluation, not all of them were honoring this privilege; I took notice of their constant chatter, how they distracted me from my work, or just plain pissing you off. In my opinion, these individuals that did not honor this gift should not deserve to be treated as colleagues. Even though our time is running short, I plan to continue to honor this course even after I have moved on.

  Some novels I felt especially connected to was Fahrenheit 451(Published by Ray Bradbury in October 1953) because I felt as though I was Montag and the Mechanical hound was like Social Peer Pressure to conform into society, Young Goodman Brown(A short story published in 1835) because like the main Character, I misinterpret situations and blow things out of proportion, and Ralph-Waldo Emerson's "On Self Reliance(A great story to live by)", as the quote "Ne Te Quaesiveris Extra" empowers me to be Self Reliant.

  The Burning desire to learn never left me, and it empowered me throughout this entire school year to be curious and try new things, to be determined and to learn from my mistakes. It will make me continue to study my masterpiece topic, "Upgrading Education", and to try and make school a more approachable concept to children and teens, and to Follow in the footsteps of my unofficial Mentor, Dr. Preston.

   One piece of literature we read this year that didn't necessarily make me laugh but more cringe in pain was Fahrenheit 451, where the Hound's needle pierced Montag's leg and his knee was shattered by an automobile traveling at 75 MPH. Looking back at it now, I can laugh because it was a great scene for sensory imagery, but it still makes me shutter.

   A Unifying theme I noticed was how self-revolving all of the Big Questions were, like Jason's steps to resell sneakersJaime's recipe for lasagna(I wasn't feeling well that morning so I turned down a piece), Isaiah's makeup tutorialhow Jay wants to become a mechanic, and Jocelyn's reasons for free tuition. There's nothing wrong with any of this, I just find it interesting that only a hand full of people-including myself-chose topics addressed to a wider audience. Was it the same in other classes?

   Am I a Hero? Not in the slightest. I didn't save the class from a boring, traditional test, nor did I take the role of unofficial leader of the class like I've done on several occasions(story about that later just ask it'll cure your insomnia). Sure, I answered the call of Adventure and helped a few people out here and there, but I did nothing even noteworthy of being a hero. I took on a new form of learning head on because I was used to a similar method, rolled with the punches, and found my "unofficial" Mentor, you, Dr. Preston. And did I come back enlightened? I sure as hell did!


No comments:

Post a Comment