Total Pageviews

Friday, April 28, 2017

We eat Social media for Breakfast


  I was always taught that the internet was not the place to look for answers, and that's true--most of the time. Sure, there's unreliable sources that can come back to bite you in the butt, but there's also great resources online that can hep you learn.

  My first example comes from tools like Nearpod or other programs that are specifically designed to work for education in the 21st century. Teachers can get multiple responses at one time via the internet program and see which is correct more quickly than the traditional quiz.

   My second example comes from programs like Blogger, which unlike Nearpod, benefit not only the teacher but the class as a whole. When we were covering our masterpiece topics, I was able to browse through my peer's blogs and evaluate what they were covering, further helping me understand my own topic of Upgrading Education.

   In regards to the use of social media to learn, I use Gmail to stay in contact with family from around the country, and sometimes more than family. In 2012 we discovered via Ancestry.com that we were direct decedents of the Dutch Explorer Peter Minuit. It just so happened that a careless comment on a YouTube video led me to meet someone from the Netherlands who just so happened to be writing a book on Peter Minuit. We never really shared much information because my Aunt was worried about my safety from Strangers on the Internet, which I appreciate but not everyone are predators.

   All and all, whilst the Internet and other social media platforms continue to be labeled as "Distracting Toys", they can often be useful in certain applications to education.

No comments:

Post a Comment